The historical industrial complex of Arnao is comprised of a coal mine and a zinc plant. The former was opened in 1833 by The Royal Asturian Mining Company (RCAM) and the latter was the result of the strategic diversification of the RCAM in the 1850s. Both are located in the maritime front line of the council of Castrillón, Asturias.
The RCAM coal mine was the first operational vertical shaft in Asturias, and is considered to be the first working submarine mineral excavation in Spain.
The coaling tower has been awarded the category of Monument a Bien de Interés Cultural (of cultural interest) and is the most singular example of the great valuable heritage that stands out in the industrial complex at Arnao.
- High season (june to september)
From 11:00 to 15:00 – from 16:00 to 20:00
- Low season (october to may)
From 11:00 to 14:00 – from 16:00 to 18:30
Closed on mondays
Reservations are recommended
Mina de Arnao C/ la Mina nº 7 C.P. 33450
Gps coordinates 43º 34´ 38,17″
5º 59´ 01,78″
Tel 985 50 77 99
PRICES (IN EUROS)
Museum, derrick and underground tour in 19th century galleries.
Adult (+15 years) 4,50€
Child (4-14 years) 2,50€
19th century working-class village visits 3,00€
Foreign languages tours (ask in advance)
- It is recommended to book, LIMITED ADDITION TO VISITS.
- Visitors are kindly requested to have an agreed reservation to arrive at the Museum facilities 10 minutes in advance.
- If you have a reserved place in a visit and you do not arrive on time, you lose the reservation. You can join another subsequent visit ONLY IF AVAILABLE FROM PLACES.